Friday, February 17, 2023

Possible Genre?????

My partner and I have been thinking about a psychological thriller! This is very different from what I'm used to watching, reading, or enjoying basically. The internet describes a psychological thriller as a story that "features protagonists/antagonists driven by obsession or violence, with an emphasis on internal tension and conflict". Honestly, the idea of this is very intimidating. This is not a genre I'm that familiar with, the last movie I watched that was categorized as a psychological thriller was "Don't Worry Darling" and it was not my favorite, to say the least, only watched for Harry Styles and Florence Pugh... 

About Psychological Thrillers

Common themes in this genre are crime, morality, substance abuse, multiple or a dissolving sense of realities, and my favorite part, unreliable narrators. Usually, the target audience is 25 or older since movies like these have topics that are more mature or intellectually demanding, but many younger people have become more desensitized to many issues and younger people also tend to enjoy these types of films. 

Theres different tropes that typically go into this genre, some are about stalkers, coercion, and mysterious strangers and they each have different characteristics. I'm not sure which story I want to follow but they all seem like they're very complex, and achieving that level of mystery and intrigue in only the two-minute intro is quite the task. 

Sample Movies


The Netflix show "YOU" follows the story of Joe and he stalks the women he loves and obsesses over. This is the trope of the stalker and you have to watch as Joe tries to rationalize every action with the excuse of love. This makes the audience have an emotional dilemma of having to deal with whether they want to feel bad for Joe's victims or root for him to succeed. 

I am excited to see where this route would take us if we do decide to do this genre!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Critical Reflection

Here is my CCR The Making of "Mine" Opening Fan Mail! Officially done!